Tuesday 8 September 2015

The Z Files: Katrina Mountfort ~ Sagittarius

Welcome to The Z Files, in which writers/bloggers show how the characteristics of their star sign influence their work; I instructed contributors to take the subject as seriously or as lightly as they wished!  Links to other posts can be found at the end of this one.


Firing her arrows at you then bounding off over the horizon, I'm delighted to welcome Katrina Mountfort, who was born under the sign of Sagittarius.

I got to know former Civil Servant, homeopath and forensic science researcher Katrina after I read her book Future Perfect, the first in the Blueprint Trilogy.  I embarrassed her by going on and on about how brilliant it was (in my over the top Leo fashion!), but I'm sure she didn't mind.  It's like a modern version of 1984... You can read my review of it HERE


Now, Katrina, what does being a Sagittarius mean to you?

"I display plenty of the traits of this sign. I’m optimistic and still believe that Future Perfect will become a movie starring Aiden Turner! Others describe me as bubbly and I’d like to think that this shows through in my writing voice. I’m adventurous and open-minded in my writing: I constantly try new ideas and writing styles to see what fits. I’m also philosophical and freedom loving; in the Blueprint trilogy I question the definitions of beauty, the price of freedom and so-called ideal societies."


"Now to deny the negative aspects: unlike typical Sagitarians, I’m fiercely loyal and reliable! Inconsistent is a better description – I may write 8,000 words in a day (typical Sagitarius enthusiasm!) and nothing the next. When I’m excited about a project I forget to eat or sleep if my husband doesn’t remind me. This is how I manifest my excesses. And I’m absolutely scattered: I have four novels in various stages of completion and easily get distracted by a new project that captures my imagination. Likewise with book promotion: I’ve had plenty of ideas but tend to be unfocussed; I’ve learned that it’s better to concentrate on a couple of social media platforms. Sagitarius characteristics (good and bad!) appear in plenty of the characters I write; Joy in Forbidden Alliance is the one most modelled on myself."
.:*´`*:.

I am so looking forward to reading Forbidden Alliance(Note Sept 8th ~ It's out now ~ HERE ~ I've read it and can confirm that Joy is very Sagittarian-like! There is a link to my review on the review of Future Perfect, above. ) You can follow Katrina on Twitter and find out more about her on her blog.

Sagittarius sometimes misses the finer details...

Before Kat shoots off over yonder hill, bow and arrow over one shoulder ~ does she have anything in common with these fellow Sagittarian writers?

The forward-thinking and science obsessed Arthur C Clarke....


....and fellow Sagittarian SciFi writer who had plenty to say about authoritarian governments, Philip K Dick!



Coming next: a Leo who challenges her sign, followed by a Cancer who thinks he's only half a crab...

Previous posts:
Leo and Aries:Terry Tyler and Julia Proofreader
Gemini: Shelley Wilson,
Aquarius and CapricornNicky Black

18 comments:

  1. Nice one!! My brother is Sagittarius, but the complete opposite to Katrina. In fact I'd say he's the antithesis of what a Sagittarian is supposed to be. Katrina, you sound much more like the real deal, and now I'll have to read your book! Anyone who names their book after a grammar form has my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps he has some other strong zodiac influence, Val...! I love your reason for liking the title of Kat's book - but it's a seriously good series, and so clever - and I thought I didn't like Sci-Fi! Rosie Amber (book blogger) gave it to me to read because she thought it would be up my street - it was :)

      Delete
    2. My tongue has come out of my cheek now...It sounds great! I'm not a sci-fi fan either, but I'll try this one!

      Delete
    3. Val, it's seriously good. Do read my review of it if you haven't - it's not SciFi so much as... a picture of what could happen in the future.... ! Which is scifi, I know, but I always think of that as meaning spaceships and aliens and stuff :)

      Delete
  2. Katrina sounds very typical Sag, and even looks it! (BTW, when they make the film starring Aiden Turner, I'd like to volunteer my services gratis, I'll make coffee, sweep up, whatever you as executive director feel is necessary!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does indeed! I thought the picture she sent me was hilariously Sag. Sorry, btw, I have already secured the position re Aiden Turner. I am doing EVERYTHING, including wardrobe and masseur duties.

      Delete
    2. I think a game of poker might have to determine the Aiden Turner question. What star sign is he?

      Delete
    3. Nicky, you just made me go and look! Gemini :)

      You can bring him his tea, if you like :D

      Delete
  3. I didn't know I looked like a typical Sag :) And as the author, I have exclusive rights to Aiden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something about your demeanour in it, I think!!! As for Aiden - hmph!

      Delete
  4. I'm married to an inconsistent Sagittarian so am familiar with many of these traits though he does not display all of them! Lovely to meet you Katrina ~ Oh and I'm up for a hand in that game of poker ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think we should let Aiden choose for himself (*folds arms and makes 'hurrumph' noise, then books month at health farm/manicurist/hairdresser/personal trainer*)

      Delete
    2. Well from what I've seen he's keen on a country girl...just saying ;-)

      Delete
    3. Now, I know I've got an old Laura Ashley dress somewhere... and one of those trug things that people put flowers in, and a jar of pickles with a gingham lid - will that do?

      Delete
    4. Ah now... you're going for the 80's look which he might go for *she shrugs* while I was planning something a little more contemporary like a foxy tweed number from Joules ;-) (I shall also be expecting my fairy Godmother to wave her wand and shrink me by several sizes - haha!)

      Delete
    5. Well at least I've got the copper hair - oh damn, that was last month, it's aubergine at the moment :)

      Delete
  5. Hilarious conversation, girls! What star signs did you say you were?
    I like the sound of Future Perfect, Katrina. I'm not into dystopian futures. The title leads me to think this would be more optimistic, more to my sensibilities. Am I thinking correctly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the interest, Norah. Yes, I'd say it's optimistic. It's a love story in a closed society where love is forbidden, followed by a questioning of that society and the realisation that there's more to the world than our heroine thought. Hope that isn't too cryptic but I didn't want to give anything away!

      Delete