Saturday 12 September 2015

The Z Files: Anne Goodwin ~ Leo

Welcome to The Z Files.  I asked writers to produce a piece for me to show how the characteristics of their zodiac signs manifest themselves in their work, and the way they work... they were invited to treat it as seriously, lightly or cynically as they wish!  For previous posts, please see the links at the end of this one.


When I first thought of this I did my own Leo post to kick it off - then, lo and behold, the first two posts I received were from Leos, too!  Never let it be said that we lions are not on the ball :)  Today I'm pleased to introduce fellow Queen of the Jungle and north-easterly person, Anne Goodwin, who has recently published her debut novel, Sugar and Snails ~ if you take a look at that Amazon link you'll see it has many stunning reviews already :)

Anne Goodwin takes a cynical look at astrological characteristics; here she asks:  How could I be a Leo


"I must have been about seven or eight when I first learnt about horoscopes – or horror-scopes as I genuinely believed they were called. And not without reason: discovering my star sign proved beyond reasonable doubt that I was inadequate. Like the lion, Leos were supposed to be in charge of the pack, not hiding at the back, scared to open our mouths. 

So forgive me if I’m somewhat sceptical about diagnosing personality according to patterns in the night sky. A sociable charismatic leader I most definitely am not. I’ll accept creative and determined, but aren’t these characteristics of any writer who craves publication? If I appreciate being appreciated, does that make me like a lion basking in the sun?"


"If I paid any attention to the Zodiac, I wouldn’t have made the narrator of Sugar and Snails another Leo. You don’t stick your head above the parapet when you’ve got something to hide. Had I thought about it, I’d have lodged Diana under Cancer: a dutiful hard-working teacher unable to dissociate herself from painful emotions from the past.

But there’s one Leo characteristic I’d claim for the pair of us, and that’s warmth. As in my picture, I’m quite a smiley person, and Diana is only waiting for someone to love her to bring out her natural warmth, displayed in the colours of her cover image. All she needs is one more sunrise over the pyramids to embrace it for herself."

 
I'm duty bound to stick up for astrology, I suppose, so I feel I must point out loads of writers aren't as determined as you, Anne, and that your online presence has a somehow queenly aura I can't quite put my finger on!!  You can follow Anne on Twitter where she is a keen sharer of blog posts, or read more from her on her blog

And finally ~ I wonder if Anne has anything in common with these lady Leo writers?

Crime maestro P D James....


.... and fantasy land lady herself, Enid Blyton!



Up next: a Cancer who thinks he's half Gemini, followed by an initially sceptical Virgo!

Previous posts:

Leo and Aries: Terry Tyler and Julia Proofreader
Gemini: Shelley Wilson
Aquarius and Capricorn: Nicky Black
Sagittarius: Katrina Mountfort

20 comments:

  1. Thanks - what a great series of posts! KLB (Leo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, fellow Lioness! I have two more Leos to come so far (Sept 27 & Nov 15)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting a reluctant Leo, Terry, and I'm so impressed you managed to get a lion to pose in front of the pyramids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Anne - thank you for being the first to reply! Yes, I was very pleased with myself re the lion/pyramids :)

      Delete
  3. It's interesting that even if you don't see yourself as true of your star sign there will always be something that chimes with you in the traits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, G ~ and the traits manifest themselves in so many different ways. I look forward to your post.... Capricorn is one of the signs I am low on!!! (No pressure, then, ha ha!!)

      Delete
  4. I wonder what moon sign Anne is? In the past, people seemed to identify with moon (emotions) than sun (purpose).

    I was born at the dark moon, minutes before the new so both mine are Capricorn Terry! Thank goodness for Libra rising over the horizon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, got it in one, Shaz! I display many Virgo traits, that being my moon. Shame about the over emotional Cancer rising, but I manage to curb that!!! If you want to do me a post I'd be most pleased, but I get that you might be too busy :)

      Delete
    2. Gulp, not another aspect of the night sky to contend with? This is getting way too complicated ;)

      Delete
  5. I agree with you about Anne's determination, Terry. And I agree that for every trait consistent with the sign, there'll be another that is most definitely not. As you say, they manifest in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you agree re Anne's queenly aura? I almost didn't dare ask her if she'd like to be on it!!!

      Delete
  6. I'm intrigued with this angle, Terry. Not sure I can be queenly if I've never been a princess! And of course you might think differently if you'd heard my accent (though that reminds me when I went out into the garden in the rain earlier I did forget to check whether any plums were ready).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! I don't know, it's just the impression people give ~ I think our online presence says more about us than we realise, and probably doesn't give anything like the impression we imagine! :)

      Delete
  7. Like Anne, I tend to be skeptical overall in regards to horoscopes, but I do find worthy insights, especially for characters based on historical people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there is something to be said for the character traits, though I agree, horoscopes are a load of rubbish :)

      Delete
  8. I'd be beyond shocked if the Anne Goodwin I know was anything but cynical about the influences of her star sign. She's so down to earth she takes root if she doesn't keep moving. I wonder if fab giggler is part of Leo? And having just watched a documentary about the importance of lush green vegetables ingested by the mother at the time of conception, why shouldnt the tug of moon and sun influence us? She's a queen amongst authors, that's for sure. Such a nice series that I'm only just finding Terry. (Closet saggitarian)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff, thanks v much! Oh, perhaps that's why I never had any kids, then - I didn't get into my a-head-of-broccoli-a-day until I had past child bearing years!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Geoff, and I do think I'm more influenced by vegetables than the stars!

      Delete